Friday, May 9, 2008

Meat and Cheese Stromboli - from Rachel Ray

Don't let these babies intimidate you - they are SUPER easy. (Don't tell my dinner group. I want them to think I work harder than they do.)

1 tube refrigerated pizza dough
2 Tbsp corn meal

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat the counter with the cornmeal. Remove dough from container and roll out. Cut the thin rectangular dough into 4 equal pieces.

24 slices of pepperoni, big ones
8 slices of Genoa salami
6 slices of turkey pastrami
6 slices of provolone

Cover each piece of dough with 6 slices pepperoni (spread out, will overlap a little), 2 slices of Genoa salami, 1 slice of turkey pastrami, 1 and 1/2 slices of provolone. Roll each piece on an angle from corner to corner making a long roll that is thicker in the middle and thinner on each end.

Extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 tsp Italian seasoning blend
2 Tbsp grated parmigiano
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

Brush rolls with EVOO then mix the remaining ingredients in a small cup; sprinkle and pat the mixture into the dough.

Bake until evenly golden, 12 to 14 minutes, then serve. If desired, serve with a tomato sauce, similar to spaghetti sauce.

For those who don't like the spicy kick, replace the salami and turkey pastrami for smoked turkey or another preferred meat.

For our dinner group I did not use red pepper flakes. Just a little makes it super spicy.

3 comments:

Becky A said...

yummy! we call them Pizza Pockets, it's easier for my kids to understand what the heck I'm talking about!

Care said...

I'm really glad your family likes them! Cuz I like to make them.

I need to remember
LeBarons all 8 Pepperoni, turkey and Provolone

Arnells 1 Turkey with Turkey Pastrami & cheese, 1 Turkey and Pepperoni & cheese, 4 regular

Schencks 6 regular

Does anyone have different requests for next time? Did you have enough?

And next time I want to make a green salad - just a note for me.

Jodi said...

OK I think this is my very favorite dinner we've had for dinner group!! I loved these the first time you made them and I really loved them the second time!! These are sooooooo YUMMY! Thanks! OK Rylee is hanging over my shoulder reading this as I type and she has a special request of only turkey on hers next time. I think she's related to Becky somehow(no meat)! Thanks Carrie!