2 or 3 slices of bread cut in half
1 cup cornflake cereal
2 large eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/2 tsp all purpose flour
2 drops vanilla
butter and pancake syrup
1. Preheat oven at 400. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
2. Put bread pieces onto lined baking sheet into warming oven (it does not need to be at full temperature) to toast lightly for 5 minutes. Cool the bread completely.
3. Seal the flakes in a heavy plastic bag. Crush them with a rolling pin to the size of rolled oats. Pour into a pie pan or into a shallow dish. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl mix the eggs, milk, flour, and vanilla until blended. Be sure there are no lumps of unmixed flour. Pour into a pie pan or shallow dish. In batches, soak the bread pieces into egg mix. Soak about 1 minute on each side in the egg mixture. Be careful not to tear the bread.
5. Place the cornflake crumbs. Coat both sides with the crumbs. Place on lined baking sheet.
6. Bake 400 for 10 minutes on one side. Then flip over with tongs and bake another 5 - 10 minutes until the crumbs begin to turn brown.
Rachel Ray doesn't toast them first. Dips them in the egg and cornflakes, cooks them in a frying pan for 2 minutes on each side and then puts them in the oven. She also adds cinnamon and nutmeg in the egg mixture and uses half and half instead of milk.