Thursday, December 16, 2010

THEE Brownies


Mint or Orange? What's your poison?

I can't believe I haven't posted these before! They are my GoTo - "Everybody's Happy" Brownie.

It is probably because of my secret that I will be sharing if I post it.


But here goes:
I use a box brownie.
(the sound of my throat clearing from being super tight)

I use a box brownie.

Not just ANY box, mind you.

They absolutely HAVE to be GHIRARDELLI DOUBLE CHOCOLATE or Triple. Do not use a different brand NOR use a different type from Ghirardelli. This is VERY important.


Now, just in case you cannot obtain said box, I have included the full recipe. I use to make them from scratch. But why, when I have found perfection in a box? I use this secret for all brownie recipes, now. For my stuck up brownies, for my caramel brownies, all of them.


Phew, I feel so much better having that out of the closet.


Now that is off my chest, here is the rest of the good stuff ~


Mix together:
1 c butter, melted
2/3 c cocoa
2 c sugar
Add one at a time, mixing well in between: 4 eggs
Add 1 1/2 c flour
Mix well. Bake in a lightly greased 9x13 pan at 350 for 30 minutes.


I want to mention at this time that I use 2 boxes of Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownies to make one cookie sheet. I bake them for 25 minutes.


I also feel it is very important to mention that you should NEVER OVERCOOK your brownies. It is much, much, much better to undercook brownies than overcook. They stay fresher longer. They don't get dry and crumbly.


Another 'trick' about brownies is that you want to cut them with a plastic knife. They don't bunch up when you use plastic. I have been very grateful to whomever shared that bit of advice with me.


Anyways


Frosting; mix and spread on cooled brownies (double for cookie sheet)

1/2 c room temperature butter
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp peppermint extract or essential oil - or wild orange (I always taste test to see if more is needed)
green, red or orange food coloring
milk for consistency (I haven't ever needed this)


FYI - I double the frosting and then split it in 2 bowls and make half peppermint and half orange because I like both.


Topping; melt together
1 c chocolate chips
6 Tbsp butter
Cool to touch, spread on top of frosting. Refrigerate.


These are the most easy things in the world to make especially compared to how much people love them!


Side note: I use doTerra brand Essential oils - they 100% pure and therefore safe to ingest. I don't actually know if there is an orange extract out there. If you are in need of wild orange Essential Oil, let me know.

No comments: