Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Caribbean Tacos


This is another borrowed recipe from my friend Angie McReaken who found it on the Enlightened Homemaker's Blog. It feels healthy and is a bit distant from the original taco. I love the sweet of the mango, or in this case the peach, and the crunch of the cabbage. The lime adds an extra zing, also.

I cooked my chicken in the crockpot (another lesson Angie has taught me), drizzled with olive oil and some sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Put it on high for 3 -4 hours. The chicken comes out so moist and tender, and then I shred it with 2 forks, while it's hot. It shreds so fast!

Caribbean Tacos
4 Tbsp Honey
3 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
1 Tbsp Oil
2 tsp Chili Powder
1 - 1 1/2 lbs cooked & shredded chicken

Mix the honey, lime juice, oil and spices. Toss in the chicken.

I quadrupled this recipe for our dinner group and used 8 lbs of chicken. Next time, I might want to times the flavoring by 5.

I bought the fresh made tortillas from the Neighborhood Walmart on 193 and sent the following fixings:
Shredded green cabbage
Avocado
Fresh cilantro
Sliced grape tomatoes
Shredded lettuce
Diced peaches (mango substitute)
Homemade Salsa (recipe to follow)

In the feedback, let me know if you had enough tortillas and the fillings (I counted and scooped the chicken but it didn't look like that much in the bag). What did you think of the peaches vs mango? Did your kids eat it? (my kids did, without some of the fillings and with the leftover cheese and sour cream from Jodi's meal yesterday). Are there any other fillings you wish I would have sent? And any suggestions for a side dish - I felt like all the fillings were sides, hence the sherbet.

"Chili's" Salsa
14.5 oz. Rotel* (mildest)
14.5 oz. Diced peeled tomatoes
1/4-1/2 c. Diced sweet onion
3/4 t. Garlic salt
1/4 to 1/2 t. Cumin
1/4 t. Sugar
Juice of 1/2 Lime Cilantro
3-4 Roma tomatoes diced

You can put it in your food processor for Chili's consistency or leave it chunky or do 1/2 & 1/2

The *Rotel is a can of tomatoes and chiles, I have never noticed this brand before, but there they were - in the tomato section, like they've always been there.

6 comments:

Sue said...

Thanks Carrie - Our family loved it. We had some fillings left over, and luckily we had more tortillas in the fridge - so our family ended up eating everything you brought. We really liked the peaches in it. Very filling. I mixed the avacados with a little lemon juice and sour cream and used it like a spread on the torilla. I let my kids just make their own - so they ate it really good. We loved the flavor of the chicken and the mix of everything else on top - my only complaint - we were rushing out the door to rain-gutter regatta for scouts and we crammed it down instead of enjoying it at the table. Definate thumbs up on this one!

Jodi said...

I loved them Carrie! Thanks! We had a little too much lettuce left over and remember we don't do fresh tomatoes. But other than that it was perfect. Trevor actually ate and had a couple of them!! Rylee is way picky and she had two and took the leftovers to school for lunch today!! My little guys had already eaten but you definetly pleased Trevor and Rylee and they are the picky ones! That salsa was so great!! We had tons of treats left over from my B-day so we haven't broke out the sherbet yet, but can't wait-looks yummy! Actually maybe Ridger and I will have it for lunch today! LOL Thanks Carrie!!

Care said...

It sounds like I could have provided a lot more tortillas? Remind me how many I gave you or at least how many would be ideal for next time!

Steph said...

Awesome! My family loved them. They can't wait to see what is for dinner the rest of the week. My kids think it is pretty cool. That was a good amount of chicken, salsa, tomatoes, cilantro, and peaches. Probably only needed about half of the lettuce and cabbage. Tortillas amount was probably OK if they were the big ones. We eat more when things are little. :) As far as a side goes, the sherbet was great, but with something like that I think a "side" could be left out. That is a great meal with everything you need in it. You did GREAT!
Oh, and 1 more thing. Tony is the only one who eats avacado at this house. One is more than enough. The rest of us don't know what good is I guess.
Thank, Carrie

Becky A said...

We all LOVED it! we had plenty of toppings, but used some of our own tortillas. We all loved the peaches, too. I think I liked them better than mangoes...thanks!

Care said...

So, I need to remember more tortillas, less lettuce/cabbage (I had a sandwich baggie of each), for the meat I used 10 lbs. chicken - this was a good amount. And put in a heaping serving spoonful for each taco.

Tortillas -

10 - Schencks
15 - Arnell
15 - Mosers
20 - LeBaron